Jah Guide. Welcome to Day 8 of the Vibe & Flex Challenge. A challenge about your personal growth. Personal growth here is your mental, physical and spiritual journey to a better healthy you.
Yesterday we jump started the week with Extended Side Angle Pose.
Today’s pose is Garland Pose aka Malasana. When I first began practicing yoga, I was just going through the motions because I was also dealing with death. It wasn’t until I hit this pose and my body was zapped with a wonderful energy, that I started to really get serious about practicing. I found an inner peace that I cant explain but feel everyday.
In Sanskrit Garland Pose is called Malasana meaning wide squat.
- Opens thighs, groin and hip flexors
- Helps straighten posture
- Improves balance, focus, and concentration
- Tones abdomen
How To Garland Pose:
- Start by standing in Mountain Pose, with your feet about the width of your mat apart or one step out from shoulder width apart. Let your arms hang freely by your side.
- Squat down lowering your hips slowly. You want your thighs a little wider than your torso. Although your torso is kept wide you want to keep your feet as close as you can.
- Slightly lean forward bringing your arms inside your thighs.Your elbows should be on or close to your knees. (This is help you keep your straight posture and help open your hip flexors as wide as possible)
- Bring your hands into a prayer position along your sternum. You want to keep your forearms as parallel as possible to the floor.
- Lean your body weight into your toes, pushing your knees wider with your elbows while also keeping you back straight. Next, lean your body weight into your heels of your feet, pushing your knees wider with your elbow
*You should hold this pose for 30 seconds to one minute.*
- If your heels wont stay on the ground, use a blanket, folded mat, or yoga block.
- Do this pose with your back against the wall for extra support ( especially you pregnant mommas and those of your who have back or hip issues.
- For a deeper stretch you can drop your forehead to the mat.
Vibe Of The Day (#VOTD):
Get more from Connie Constance!