Hello My Beautiful People! It’s FRRRRIIIIIIDDDAAAYYY, the end of the work week and another day to get your flexibility game up! Today’s pose, Mermaid, teaches you to let your light shine and bring out your inner mystical mermaid strength- the kind that you never knew you had, until it began to shine so bright.
Don’t get caught up in the many variations of this pose that you aren’t ready or capable to do yet. Remember, this is a flexibility challenge to be done in stages. If you can do it all in one practice where does the growth come from? Practice makes perfect, and your kind of practice makes your kind of perfect. We all have aliments that can make this challenge even more challenging; the great things is, you can break through the voice saying “this is all you have” and dive into the voice saying “you got this, now exhale and succeed in your uncharted territory.”
Step By Step Mermaid Pose:
- Starting in pigeon pose, bend your left knee while moving your foot towards your spine. Try not to shift off to one side but stay centered.
- Reach for your left foot with your left hand as you slight move your foot to the side of your left leg. Eventually hook your left foot into the crook of your elbow.
- Extend your right arm upwards towards the ceiling. Lifting tall through your spine, (you should feel as if a string is being pulled from the crown of your head from the sky) grab for your fingers, linking your left and right hands.
- Keep your gaze down towards your left foot or find a gaze space ahead of you. Be careful not to tilt your neck here, too far or to either side, too much.
- Get comfortable in this space and engage your entire body here for 4-8 breathes. This may take some balancing, core activation, and flexibility. If it helps, focus on your breathing, your gaze space, and/or your movements.
A Matr3Moni Reminder:
“NO MATTER WHAT, it’s your body and your choice.”
Please be careful while practicing; If you have prior injuries be extremely mindful of every movement and how it affects your body. By now you know your body and the difference between your pain and your stretch, so again, be careful.
Along with being mindful while practicing, you also have to be mindful of what is going on in the inside of your body and mental/spiritual realms. You can work your body in such a positive way and still counter the positive vibes by not having healthy habits and/or awareness. Do not fight against yourself, find ways to incorporate wellness habits into your daily activities.start trying new activities like yoga and cross fitness that engage all of your core muscles and then some that you didn’t know you weren’t working already.