Hello My Beautiful People! Today’s pose Mermaid, is a familiar one from the earlier days of this Yoglax Challenge. This was one of the harder days for many of us, as I seemed to get the most emails that day. Like I’ve said before, you may not look like the picture today, or even after your third practice, but have a little patience.
Mermaid Pose can be very frustrating when you’re not sure if your doing it right or not. Common mistakes in Mermaid pose can actually bring more harm than good. If you are only looking at photos, now is the time to get into a class, or find as many videos as possible to help ensure your being safe.
Step BY Step Mermaid Pose:
- Starting in pigeon pose, bend your left knee while moving your foot towards your spine. Try not to shift off to one side but stay centered.
- Reach for your left foot with your left hand as you slight move your foot to the side of your left leg. Eventually hook your left foot into the crook of your elbow.
- Extend your right arm upwards towards the ceiling. Lifting tall through your spine, (you should feel as if a string is being pulled from the crown of your head from the sky) grab for your fingers, linking your left and right hands.
- Keep your gaze down towards your left foot or find a gaze space ahead of you. Be careful not to tilt your neck here, too far or to either side, too much.
- Get comfortable in this space and engage your entire body here for 4-8 breathes. This may take some balancing, core activation, and flexibility. If it helps, focus on your breathing, your gaze space, and/or your movements.
A Matr3Moni Reminder:
“NO MATTER WHAT, it’s your body and your choice.”
Please be careful while practicing; If you have prior injuries be extremely mindful of every movement and how it affects your body. By now you know your body and the difference between your pain and your stretch, so again, be careful.
Along with being mindful while practicing, you also have to be mindful of what is going on in the inside of your body and mental/spiritual realms. You can work your body in such a positive way and still counter the positive vibes by not having healthy habits and/or awareness. Do not fight against yourself, find ways to incorporate wellness habits into your daily activities. Start by trying new activities that engage all of your core muscles. You’ll find out that you didn’t know you weren’t working so many muscles already.