Cat Cow Posture is one of those favorites for newbies yoga learners and most yoga lovers. It’s fun to do and does such a great job stretching and strengthen the back.
Benefits of Cat Cow Posture:
- Improves posture and balance
- Strengthens and stretches the spine and neck
- Stretches the hips, abdomen and back
- Increases coordination-links breath to movement
- Massages and stimulates organs in the belly, like the kidneys and adrenal glands
- Creates emotional balance
- Relieves stress and calms the mind
Steps to achieve Cat Cow Posture:
- Start on your hands and knees, aligning your wrists underneath your shoulders and your knees underneath your hips.
- Keep the neck long by looking down and out.
- Curl your toes under.
- Inhale, Tilt your pelvis back so that your tailbone sticks up.
- Let this movement ripple from your tailbone up your spine so that your neck is the last thing to move.
- Your belly drops down, but keep your abdominal muscles hugging your spine by drawing your navel in.
- Take your gaze gently up toward the ceiling without cranking your neck.
- Release the tops of your feet to the floor.
- Exhale, Tuck your tailbone letting this action move up your spine. Your spine will naturally
- Drop your head and gaze at your navel.
- This posture can be done in a chair if you are not able to get on the floor—the same movement applies, keeping your feet in the floor and your hands on your knees
- Draw your shoulders down and away from your ears
If you’re looking to practice Easy Posture, other basics postures or you want to go through a longer sequence, check out my YouTube channel. Follow along with the challenge on Instagram. Show how this posture works for you and post your challenge photo. Make sure to use the hashtags #yogawithmatr3moni #yogachallengewithmatr3moni
If you are interested in one-on-one sessions to learn more about your body, gaining flexibility, and creating a healthier lifestyle by adding yoga you can make an appointment with Matr3Moni.