Downward Facing Dog is one of those yoga pose favorites. Even if you’ve never tried yoga before, you know this posture. It cool to watch a dog do too😉. This posture surely helps with tightness of the entire body and is easy to do almost anywhere.
- Stretches the lower body; hamstrings, calves, and ankles fully
- Strengthens the upper body; wrists, shoulders and back muscles
- Stimulates blood flow
- Improves posture
- Fine-tunes your foot muscles.
- creates length throughout the entire body, particularly in the back body
- Calms the mind
- Stimulates blood circulation
Steps to achieve Downward Facing Dog:
- If you are coming into this posture from a floor posture on all fours you push your hands into the floor as your tailbone flows towards the ceiling.
- Curl your toes under and push back through your hands to lift your hips and straighten your legs.
- Spread your fingers and ground down from the forearms into the fingertips.
- Let your head hang and move your shoulder blades away from your ears towards your hips.
- Keep your tail high, and sink your heels towards the floor.
- Exhale and bend your knees to release and come back to your hands and knees.
- It’s more important to keep length in the spine than straight legs.
- You can bend your knees bent as much as you need to so you can enjoy the strecth in your back.
- Your heels don’t need to touch the floor!
- If the wall helps you, use it!
- Avoid locking out your elbows just as much as your knees
- To check that the distance between your hands and feet is correct, come forward into a plank position.
- The distance between the hands and feet should be the same in these two poses.
If you’re looking to practice Sitting forward fold, other basics postures or you want to go through a longer sequence, check out my YouTube channel. Follow along with the challenge on Instagram. Show how this posture works for you and post your challenge photo. Make sure to use the hashtags #yogawithmatr3moni #yogachallengewithmatr3moni.
If you are interested in one-on-one sessions to learn more about your body, gaining flexibility, and creating a healthier lifestyle by adding yoga you can make an appointment with Matr3Moni.