Warrior II takes what seems to be a simple posture in Warrior I and turns it up a notch. Part II of Warrior posture adds strength, focus and the courage to continue where you thought was an end. Creating the space within the spine to twist and remain planted without falling takes true determination with core and lower body strength. Don’t let your eyes make you go faster than you need to. Listen to your body and move with great intention.
- Stretches your hips, groins and shoulders.
- Opens your chest and lungs.
- Builds stamina and concentration.
- Stimulates your abdominal organs.
- Develops balance and stability.
- Improves circulation and respiration.
How to achieve Warrior II Posture:
- Starting at the top of your mat so you have space to come back as far as you need to, face forward on your mat with your feet parallel to your mat hip width apart.
- Step your right leg straight behind you and turn your right heel so your right toes turn approximately 45 degrees towards the side of your mat
- Bend your left knee keeping it directly over your left ankle into a lunge.
- Keep your hips parallel to the mat and you rotate at to the right side.
- Raise both your arms out to your sides, finger tips out towards the sides of the mat palms facing the mat with finger tips towards the ends of the mat, keeping your shoulders pressed down.
- Gaze over your right or left fingertips to help keep you balanced.
- Keep your knee stacked over your ankle.
- Lengthen your tailbone down through your mat.
- Keep your chest wide and open.
- stay focused on your drishti (focal) point.
- Maintain even breaths.
If you’re looking to practice Warrior II Posture, other basics postures or you want to go through a longer sequence, check out my YouTube channel. Follow along with the challenge on Instagram. Show how this posture works for you and post your challenge photo. Make sure to use the hashtags #yogawithmatr3moni #yogachallengewithmatr3moni
If you are interested in one-on-one sessions to learn more about your body, gaining flexibility, and creating a healthier lifestyle by adding yoga you can make an appointment with Matr3Moni.