Planks are overlooked and underrated when it comes to yoga, but you have to build yourself up from somewhere. Planks are not just about the physical side. There definitely is a mental side that can make or break you. Low plank Chaturanga is also called the Four-Limbed Staff posture and is a true definition of a low plank. It is one of those postures that you will grow to love, but it may really take a while. Take your time, flow and enjoy the ride. Get low with it a few times💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾
- Reduces belly fat
- Strengthens and tones the wrists, arms, abdominal muscles, and lower back
- Strengthens the muscles surrounding the spine, improving posture
- Improves digestive system
How to achieve a Low Plank Chaturanga:
- Starting in a high plank position with your elbows directly over your wrists, slowly lower your body to hover a few inches above the floor. Keep your back flat and your toes tucked.
- Lift through your chest, keeping your shoulders in line with your elbows. Do not let your chest drop or sag toward the floor.
- Fully engage your abdominal and leg muscles.
- Keep your elbows hugged against your ribcage, pointed toward your heels.
- Press the bottom of your knuckles into the floor.
- Your upper and lower arms should be perpendicular, bent 90 degrees at the elbows.
- If the full pose is too challenging right now, come to your knees first. Then, lower your torso to hover an inch above the floor, into Half Chaturanga.
- Do not let your shoulders drop lower than the height of your elbows.
- As you practice more you will begin to get those elbows at 90 degrees so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get there from day one.
If you’re looking to practice Low Plank Chaturanga Posture, other basics postures or you want to go through a longer sequence, check out my YouTube channel. Follow along with the challenge on Instagram. Show how this posture works for you and post your challenge photo. Make sure to use the hashtags #yogawithmatr3moni #yogachallengewithmatr3moni
If you are interested in one-on-one sessions to learn more about your body, gaining flexibility, and creating a healthier lifestyle by adding yoga you can make an appointment with Matr3Moni.